Opinion: Adding More Elective Classes

Student Author

Did you ever want to learn something new? Well what if they offered it at school? I think that CCAMS should add more electives for their students because it can reduce absences, help students find hobbies they enjoy and students can work alongside the community.

One reason why schools should have more electives is because this can reduce student absences. This is because students will have activities to do throughout the day that will make them want to come to school more, especially if it’s an elective which they chose. Also, having more electives can balance out their schedule and will make students less stressed than if they only have one elective. Students that are stressed are less likely to attend school. For example, if a student has an exam they might ask their parents to stay home because they didn’t get a chance to study so they feel overwhelmed. 

Another reason why schools should add more electives is because students can have more enjoyment during the school hours. Electives help students find interests or hobbies they enjoy. They can find electives which they have knowledge about or an activity which can show their talent. This can also be helpful to students because they can receive exposure to subjects they might not otherwise encounter. 

The final reason why students should have more electives is because this can allow students to have connections to the community. There are many community organizations that offer classes for young people, such as the Motor City Street Dance Academy. The school can use the help from the community to add electives or at least after school activities.  After school activities can also come in handy since students will eventually need community service hours and these activities can help help fulfill that requirement. Another possibility could be the school allowing students to work outside of school hours but have it still count as if it was in school activities.

In conclusion, I think schools should add more school electives. This is because it can reduce absences, help students find hobbies they enjoy and students can work alongside the community.