Opinion: Mental Health Issues Need More Attention

Daniel Sandoval

There are students suffering in silence among their peers. Mental health of students is a sensitive topic that not many people talk about. I think people should pay more attention to mental health in students because school is stressful, bullying is common, and there has been an increase in mental health issues among young people.

First, I think people should pay more attention to mental health in students because school is stressful. Students spend an average of about seven to eight hours in school Monday through Friday. Going to school involves many stressors, such as keeping up with grades, the fear of being judged, and important tests like the SAT or ACT. A survey done by the American Psychological Association reveals that 45% of teens were stressed because of school. 

Another reason why I think people should pay more attention to mental health in students is because of bullying. Students who are bullied often start experiencing mental health issues. According to theatlantic.com, one hundred sixty thousand students stay home because of bullying each year. In addition, according to pacer.org, 20.2% of students report being bullied. That’s one in five students. If schools take action on bullying, there will be less students struggling with mental health.

Lastly, there has been an increase in mental health problems among scholars. Some groups are more affected than others, like the LGBTQ community. According to cdc.org, more than 1 in 3 high school students experienced persistent feelings of sadness. In addition, a study shows that in 2019, approximately, 1 in 6 youth reported making a suicide plan. Also, a recent survey reveals that 41.3% of individuals have struggled with mental health in the past and 30.4% are currently struggling. With this increase, schools need to pay more attention to the mental health of students.

I think people should pay more attention to mental health in students because school is stressful for students, the existence of bullying, and the increase in mental health problems among scholars. If you or someone you know are experiencing mental health issues or contemplating any harmful or fatal actions, there is help available. 800-273-8255 is the suicide prevention hotline. There are people who care.